Gallery.py is a little Python program that produces picture galleries. Gallery.py makes static web pages and is not dependent on serverside engines such as PHP or mod_perl.
Gallery.py is known to work on Linux, iMac and Windows.
The number of downloads now exceeds 5.000
At a glance
Here is more information. First and foremost the manual page (for version 2). The manual is being written in DocBook
format. For now I publish an HTML version. A proper manpage will be included later, when I know my way around DocBook.
- Python version 2.1 or better
- Python Imaging Library (PIL) version 1.1.3 or better
- Optional PyXML for a SAX reader, only required if updating from xml file is used
Gallery.py is licensed under the GNU GPL 2 license. Have a look at Copyleft for further information.
- Makes index.html with thumbnails, thumbnail size configurable
- Makes resized pictures, picture size configurable
- Optional link to full size picture on page with resized picture
- Slideshow links on pages with resized pictures --> very easy to navigate the gallery
- Recurse through directories
- Set title from either dirname, -t option or file
- # of picture columns on index page configurable
- Define optional color scheme
- Table padding configurable
- Add pictures to gallery later. Index page and slideshow properly adjusted. Filename clashing resolved automatically
Added capabilities in 2.0 release
- Installs using Python standard distutils e.g. 'python setup.py install'
- Includes a simple GUI which works on both Unix and Windows
- Generate XML file when making gallery
- Extract date from picture EXIF data and put it in the 'date' field
- User configurable source and destination directories. Creates necessary directories and works well with --recurse option
- Link navigation to parent directory and all subdirectories with pictures
- Recognized elements in xmlfile include 'date', 'who', 'where' and 'what'
- Update gallery from updated XML file. Edit necessary text in xml files and reprocess directory hierarchy
Possible features beyond version 2.0
- Change GUI from Tkinter widgets to wxPython ones
- Edit the xml file's descriptive elements through a webinterface.
If you have a question or comment about gallery.py, gallery2.py or this page, feel free to send an email to Per Jensen.
$Id: index.html,v 1.65 2005/09/22 21:16:42 pj Exp $